What is the travel bursary for?
The Wellcome Genome Campus Public engagement team aim to make visits to the campus as inspiring and inclusive as possible. We have a number of travel bursaries available on a first come first serve basis. The travel bursary is offered to primary and secondary schools to encourage visits to the Campus, supporting the teaching of genomics across UK curricula and inspiring students to consider careers in STEM.
Who is eligible?
The travel bursary has been developed to make our campus-based educational experiences as inclusive as possible. Any school meeting one of the criteria below is eligible to apply for a travel bursary.
- A state-funded school located in the 30% most deprived neighbourhoods in the country in relation to Children’s Education, Skills and Training (Indices of Multiple Deprivation 2019)
- A state-funded school in a social mobility cold spot
- A state-funded school with at least 20% of students receiving pupil premium
If you are not sure whether your school is eligible please contact us and we will be able to check the latest government statistics.
Why these eligibility criteria?
We have chosen to use the IMD, Social Mobility and Pupil Premium metrics as we assess they represent a fair combination of measures to ensure we can be as inclusive as possible across the widest range of communities.
We hope the bursary will facilitate visits to the Campus and further engagement opportunities for your students.
How much can I claim?
Transportation costs up to a maximum of £375 (inc VAT) can be claimed.
How do I apply?
- Make a booking by completing an educational visit request form or using the form available on our school visit information page
- Obtain a quote from your bus company for the travel costs
- Once your visit date has been confirmed complete the travel bursary form and return it to email@example.com
How will I receive the bursary?
After your visit, email a copy of the transport company invoice up to the value of £375 and your school bam to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be reimbursed to the school via a BACS payment within 30 days of receipt of the invoice.